Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My favorite Pickles

  Seeding tomatoes, peppers and some impation flowers yesterday reminds me that summer is coming and gardening too.  I'm looking forward to all those fresh garden things again. Yummy! 
  A friend was asking for my pickle recipe recently so here it is.  This is the one that I got from my mother-in-law and is our family's favorite.
   Dill Pickles (Small Ones)
10 cups. water
4 cups. vinegar (white distilled)
2 cups. sugar (I even do less if I don't want them as sweet. Maybe 1&1\2 cups.)
3\4  cup salt
1 Tablespoon pickling spice
 Combine and cook all the above until it boils.
  Add a head or stalk of dill, a bit of onion, and 1 clove of garlic in each jar. Fill with your small cucumbers and pour hot brine over them.   Boil lids and close jars.  Place in hot water bath canner and just bring to boil (you don't want to cook them too long so they will still be nice and crunchy), then take out and screw lids tight and turn upside down on towel to cool. (I've had trouble sometimes with them sealing so that is why I tighten the screw and turn them upside down to help them seal better.)  This brine recipe makes around 11 quarts.
   Below is the finished product from last summer! 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Carissa, now next summer when it is time to do pickles, I am all set with this recipe. We are all getting good and ready to start gardening again around here.

    ReplyDelete